Intermediate Rider Course (IRC)
The Intermediate Rider Course (IRC) is an eight (8) hour course that enables those who successfully complete it (passing all written and skills test) to receive a waiver of further testing which is accepted by the Washington DOL for motorcycle Endorsements.
This course is designed specifically for riders who are:
- Over 16 years old
- Have experience with riding motorcycles, but have no endorsement
- Are returning to riding after a break of several years, but have retained the riding skills and knowledge to successfully complete the course
- Have off-road motorcycle experience and want to get an endorsement
Students will ride ESC bikes in this course (those returning to the sport without personal bikes will find this is a perfect class for them). Classroom instruction in street
strategies and mental preparedness for safe motorcycling is combined with range exercises that cover cornering, swerving, stopping, and hazard avoidance.
The range portion of the class will begin with a screening exercise to make sure you have the ability to start, shift, brake, turn, and lean a motorcycle. If you are unable to
demonstrate these skills minimally then you will be dismissed from the class with no refund. You should take a BRC class if you have any question about your abilities and being
able to pass the screening exercise.
We are happy to provide you with a wide selection of motorcycles for this course, but cannot guarantee a specific type of motorcycle to one person or that these bikes will be at a
specific range. The motorcycles we have are 125cc’s and 250cc’s.
- Cruiser bikes: Suzuki GZ250’s, Honda Rebel 250’s, Yamaha Virago’s, and Kawasaki Eliminators
- Dual sport bikes: Yamaha WR250r, TW200, KLX250sf, DR200, and Yamaha XT225
- Standard and sport bikes: Kawasaki Ninja 250 and Honda Nighthawk 250
- Scooters: Vino 125’s, Vespa 150’s, and Zuma 50. We have a limited number of scooters so you must request them in advance!
Course Fee: $200 regular pice, $125 Washington State subsidized*
*Washington State subsidizes many of our classes for state residents.
Please have your driver’s license number and date of birth handy for subsidized class registrations. Additional classes have been added at a higher fee to meet demand ($200).
Other than price and availability, all classes are identical.
- Washington Drivers License under 18 – $50
- Washington Drivers License – $125
- Non-Washington Drivers License – $200
- Non-Sub Fee (regardless of age and DL) – $200
All students MUST bring to the range:
- DOT-approved helmet (ESC provides helmets at all its sites. However, students are encouraged to bring their own if they own a DOT approved helmet)
- Eye protection (eyeglasses, sunglasses, face shield, or goggles)
- Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear that provides ankle support and protection from heat and moving parts. Most work type boots and hiking boots work well, but
canvas high-tops or slip-on-boots with elastic (only) ankle covering ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
- Full-fingered leather gloves with a sturdy palm of leather or leather like material
- Long sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long STURDY denim pants or jeans with NO holes or tears that allow any skin to be exposed
- Rain gear if necessary (class will continue during rain)
- Sun block, as needed
- Snacks and/or lunch, and non-alcoholic beverages
Terms and Conditions
- Be able to shift, turn, and effectively use the clutch
- Be able to pass a screening exercise. If you fail the exercise you will be dismissed with no refund
- Provide proper riding gear
- Be on time. Students arriving late to any portion of the class will not be allowed to participate and will not be refunded or rescheduled
- To cancel and receive a refund or transfer, students must notify ESC at least 6 business days before the start of the class
- If class is cancelled by ESC, a full refund will be issued or the class will be rescheduled (classes are held rain or shine)
Refunds/Transfers are not allowed if a student
- Cancels less than 6 business days prior to class
- Fails to attend the scheduled class
- Arrives late to any portion of the class or practice and is not allowed to participate
- Is dismissed by the instructor