Basic Rider Course (BRC)
Our most popular motorcycle course is the Basic Rider Course (BRC) .
This course is aimed at individuals with little or no riding experience (those with experience should
consider taking an IRT or an ERC course). The BRC is designed to provide the skills needed to operate a motorcycle safely and competently. Your training will include classroom
instruction and a minimum of eight (8) hours ON-CYCLE training. At the end of each section, students will take two written and two skills tests. The successful completion of
this class (passing all written and skills test) enables riders to receive a waiver of further testing which is accepted by the Washington DOL for motorcycle Endorsements.
We are happy to provide you with a wide selection of motorcycles for this course, but cannot guarantee a specific type of motorcycle to one person or that these bikes will
be at a specific range. The motorcycles we have are 125cc’s and 250cc’s.
- Cruiser bikes: Suzuki GZ250’s, Honda Rebel 250’s, Yamaha Virago’s, and Kawasaki Eliminators
- Dual sport bikes: KLX250sf, DR200, and Yamaha XT225
- Standard and street bikes: Honda Nighthawk 250, Suzuko TU250, Honda CBT125, Honda Grom 125
- Scooters: Vino 125’s, Vespa 150’s, and Zuma 50. We have a limited number of scooters so you must request them in advance and are available at the Totem Lake location ONLY
Course Fee: $260 regular pice, $125 Washington State subsidized*
*Washington State subsidizes many of our classes for state residents.
You will need to have your driver’s license number and date of birth handy for subsidized class registrations. Additional classes have been added at the regular fee to meet
demand ($260). Other than price and availability, all classes are identical.
- Washington Drivers License under 18 – $50
- Washington Drivers License – $125
- Non-Washington Drivers License – $260
- Non-Sub Fee (regardless of age and DL) – $260
3 day: Day 1, 6:00pm – 9:00pm. Day 2, 8:00am – 5:00pm. Day 3, 8:00am – 2:00pm.
2 day: Day 1, 8:00am – 6:00pm. Day 2, 8:00am – 6:00pm.
*All class start times are approximate (time change depending on time of year). Be sure to check your confirmation letter for specific times and confirm your location.
All students MUST bring to the range:
- DOT-approved helmet (ESC provides helmets at all its sites. However, students are encouraged to bring their own if they own a DOT approved helmet)
- Eye protection (eyeglasses, sunglasses, face shield, or goggles)
- Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear that provides ankle support and protection from heat and moving parts. Most work type boots and hiking boots work well, but
canvas high-tops or slip-on-boots with elastic (only) ankle covering ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
- Full-fingered leather gloves with a sturdy palm of leather or leather like material
- Long sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long STURDY denim pants or jeans with NO holes or tears that allow any skin to be exposed
- Rain gear if necessary (class will continue during rain)
- Sun block, as needed
- Snacks and/or lunch, and non-alcoholic beverages
Terms and Conditions
- Must be able to ride a two-wheel bicycle. (Students must have this experience and balance to be able to take this class)
- Provide proper riding gear
- Be on time. Students arriving late to any portion of the class will not be allowed to participate and will not be refunded or rescheduled
- To cancel and receive a refund or transfer, students must notify ESC at least 6 business days before the start of the class
- If class is cancelled by ESC, a full refund will be issued or the class will be rescheduled (classes are held rain or shine)
Refunds/Transfers are not allowed if a student
- Cancels less than 6 business days prior to class
- Fails to attend the scheduled class
- Arrives late to any portion of the class or practice and is not allowed to participate
- Is dismissed by the instructor